I’m active in our community
- Tournament director for First Lego League (FLL) qualifying tournament and Eastern MA Championship for children in 4th-8th grades. For the championship there are over 100 volunteers, 48 teams and 1000+ people in a day-long competition including robot matches, judging in 3 areas, concessions, a maker fair and other activities.
- Parts buyer for the high school robotics team, the LigerBots. I also plan and book trips for the team, like the world championship in Detroit in 2017, FIRST National Advocacy Conference in DC and other events. I mentor students, chaperon, drive carpools, and do whatever else is needed. Even though our kids are now in college we still have a minivan for the robot and carpools. My husband is a head coach for the team.
- Judge volunteer with FIRST robotics.
- CAP, Child Assault Prevention, volunteer. We visit Newton and Brookline elementary schools to teach children how to be safe, strong and free. We talk on their level about bullying, safety with strangers and sexual assault by a known person. My specialty is kindergarten and I visit almost every school each year.
- Treasurer and parent coordinator for Newton High School sailing team.
- T2, Transitioning Together, mentor. Help first generation students and parents navigate the college process over 16+ months. The job doesn’t really end at high school graduation 🙂
- In the past I’ve also been involved in the various PTOs, school fundraisers, theater, girl scouts, and coached for years an all-girls FLL team.
- People call me up for advice on mental health and resources, guiding teenagers into engineering, property management, financial independence, international travel, travel with kids, kitchen design and lice. That last one was NOT a fun few years!